Assignment | SOCW 6301 – Social Work Practice Research I | Walden University
Just some helpful information for completing week 4 assignment.
You have to choice couple counseling or assessment as the premise to start your research. For example, if you are going to use couple counseling, then you would have to:
1. Identify the problem/s the couple is confronted with;
2. turn the problem into a research question (qualitative or quantitative);
3. conduct a literature review (use existing research to support your position.
So, basically, you will repeat what you already did last week, but starting with a new problem. you are essentially working from the assessment stage to formulating your research in order to examine the issues further. The literature review should guide you in explaining:
1. Why is you research important;
2. What gaps will it fill;
3. Who ultimately benefits from the studey.
Focusing Research Questions and Developing Hypotheses
- Yegidis, B. L., Weinbach, R. W., & Myers, L. L. (2018). Research methods for social workers (8th ed.). New York, NY: Pearson.
o Review Chapter 4, “Conducting the Literature Review and Developing Research Hypothesis” (pp. 71-99)
- Plummer, S.-B., Makris, S., & Brocksen S. M. (Eds.). (2014). Social work case studies: Foundation year. Baltimore, MD: Laureate International Universities Publishing. [Vital Source e- reader].
- Plummer, S.-B., Makris, S., Brocksen S. (Eds.). (2014). Sessions: Case histories. Baltimore, MD: Laureate International Universities Publishing. [Vital Sourcee-reader].
o TheLoganFamily Media
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2013). Logan family(Episode 1) [Video file]. In Sessions. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
© 2017 Laureate Education, Inc.
6 of 16
Assignment: Introduction to Research Proposals
Just because you thought of an interesting research question and have a desire to conduct research does not mean that your research will automatically be supported by faculty or funded by an organization. In order to gain stakeholder approval, you must submit a research proposal. Much like an outline of a paper or a treatment of a movie script, the research proposal contains several parts that begin with a research question and end with a literature review. For this Assignment, you compile a research proposal that includes a research problem, research question, and a literature review.
For this Assignment, choose between the case studies entitled “Social Work Research: Couple Counseling” and “Social Work Research: Using Multiple Assessments.” Consider how you might select among the issues presented to formulate a research proposal.
Be sure to consult the outline in Chapter 14 the Yegidis et al. text for content suggestions for the sections of a research proposal. As you review existing research studies, notice how the authors identify a problem, focus the research question, and summarize relevant literature. These can provide you with a model for your research proposal.
Introduction to Research Proposals
5- to 6-page research proposal stating both a research problem and a broad research question (may be either qualitative or quantitative). Use 6–10 of the most relevant literature resources to support the need for the study, define concepts, and define variables relevant to the question. Include a literature review explaining what previous research has found in relation to your problem and question. The literature review should also include a description of methods used by previous researchers. Finally, be sure to explain how your proposed study addresses a gap in existing knowledge.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A MASTER LEVEL PROGRAM