Discussion: group dynamics and family dynamics | SOCW 6121 – Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice II | Walden University
When working with families and groups the priority is for the social worker to understand the process that is taking place. In both situations there is the overt (clearly stated) dynamics and the covert (hidden) dynamics. The content (what is being said) in both settings is what is open and stated. The process (how it is being said) is the unspoken information; what is underneath the interaction is what the social worker needs to explore in both groups and family systems.
For this Discussion, watch the video segments of a group and a family session provided in required resources.
By Day 3
Post the following:
- Describe the group dynamic (communication, cohesion, social integration, influence) of the group shown in the required media.
- Explain how this group’s dynamics may influence treatment.
- A description of the family dynamic (communication, cohesion, social integration, influence) of the family shown in the required media.
- Explain how this family’s dynamics may influence treatment.
- Explain any similarities or differences when assessing dynamics in a group versus a family and how those dynamics may affect treatment.
Toseland, R. W., & Rivas, R. F. (2017). An introduction to group work practice (8th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
Chapter 3, “Understanding Group Dynamics” (pp. 67–97)
Leszcz, M., & Yalom, I. (n.d.). Group therapy: A live demonstration [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.psychotherapy.net.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/stream/waldenu/video?vid=170&clip=cs1770610ce2387740
Note: You will access these videos from the Walden Library databases.
Watch segment from timestamp 30:00 to 39:48.
See Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus for direct link to this segment.
McGoldrick, M. (n.d.). The legacy of unresolved loss: A family systems approach [Video file].
Note: You will access this article from the Walden Library databases.